Cartoons and Satire

Observations about events, politics, trends and technology expressed through cartoons.--------------- Comments send to: cartoon@cartoonste.com

My Photo
Name:

The intent is to share insights and generate ideas. Comments can be sent to: cartoon@cartoonste.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Planet?

If women are Venus and men are from Mars, I must be from Uranus.

My formative impression of gender was instilled before 10 years of age. Up until that time females are as physically as capable as their male counterparts. In fact is the earlier years they are often more physically capable. The females I grew up were as competitive as the males and played the same games. You were as likely to get beaten up by a female as a male. Therefore, my image of females was of just another person.

However, my formative years are before a time that sex is marketed even in terms of babies as today. The image of females today is instilled in both western and traditionalist society practically from the time you can speak. In both societies women are marginalized in the range of things they can do and relegated to the position of chattel. In the West it is done through religion (both Christianity and Catholism), business mores and legal regulations. In sacred societies it is through tradition.

I did not clearly notice the effects of this “pigeon holding” until graduate school. The young women there seemed to have succumbed to the realities of second class citizenship and did not compete unabashingly. They were bright enough and capable, but lacked that killer instinct to be number one. There were exceptions. There were some women I came across in business and school that were like a starving dog after a piece of meat. I could understand these women in the dog-eat-dog environment. I just made certain I kept my body parts out of snapping range.

I can also remember my personal impact. My daughter was about 7 years old in a “Christian” school. She used to be interested in my wood working and the tools I used. She even helped. One day she came home from school and said she could not do that any more. The teacher had said it was inappropriate for girls. You can guess what I did.

Therefore when I see in the media the kidnappings, murder, rape, mutilation and stifled potential of women here and around the world, it somehow lacks reality for me. I wonder what planet am I on that women allow this to be done? What planet am I on that men and society are so obtuse?

I do not think I will ever get over seeing a female as just another competitor and just as capable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home